Rankings are as of Sunday May 30th, 2011
1. Philadelphia Phillies (33-20) – The Philadelphia Phillies remain the top team in Major League Baseball with their 33-20 record. The Phillies have the top home record in the national league; 19-10. Philadelphia was unable to finish off a three game sweep of the new York Mets on Sunday; falling 9-5. The Philadelphia offense has been up and down, with many injuries. The Phillies top hitter has been Placido Polanco, with a .314 average. The Phillies starting pitchers have record the most quality starts in the league; with 37 and have the best earned run average in all of baseball; 3.02.
2. Cleveland Indians (31-19) – The cardiac kids out of the American League Central have been the Cleveland Indians. After 50 games, the Indians are 12 games over.500 and 6.5 games ahead of the Detroit Tigers. The Indians were downed on Sunday by Tampa Bay, but still hold the largest divisional lead in baseball. Cleveland has an offense that is 5th in runs scored (242) and 5th in batting average (.261). Asdrubal Cabrera has been the leading offensive player, batting .302, with 10 homeruns, 35 runs batted in and 34 runs scored.
3. St. Louis Cardinals (32-22) – The St. Louis Cardinals just finished a nine game, three city road trip to Kansas City, San Diego and Colorado with six wins. The Cardinals have been playing great baseball, and lead Milwaukee by 2.5 games in the Central. The Cardinals are the top offensive team in the league, batting.285, with 264 runs scored. Their three time MVP Albert Pujols has really been struggling, batting under .270 for the first time in his career this late in a season. Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman have carried the load, leading the NL in batting. The pitching for St. Louis has been great, getting a combined 18 wins from Kyle Lohse, Kyle McClellan and Jaime Garcia.
4. Florida Marlins (30-21) – The Florida Marlins are in second place in the National League East, but if the postseason started today – they would be in as the National League Wildcard representative. The Marlins are 30-21 on the season, two games behind Philadelphia. The Marlins have a league best 16-9 road record on the season. Florida’s pitching has been pretty solid on the year, recording a 3.31 earned run average; which is sixth in MLB. Josh Johnson’s 1.64 leads the team.
5. Boston Red Sox (30-22) – The Boston Red Sox, after a terrible start to the 2011 season have moved up to one of the top teams in Major League Baseball. The Red Sox have won eight of their last ten games, and five straight overall. The Red Sox have scored 249 runs, which is fourth in MLB, and also hold a.270 batting average. Adrian Gonzalez has been a great pick-up so far, batting.333, with an AL leading 45 runs batted in. The Red Sox have seen Jon Lester lead the league with 7 wins through the early part of the season.
6. new York Yankees (28-23) – The new York Yankees are the top scoring team in the American League; with 264 runs. The Yankees avoided the sweep at the hands of the Seattle Mariners with a win on Sunday. The Yankees are in second place in the American League East; behind the Boston Red Sox. Curtis Granderson has been the key for new York, with a.282 batting average, 16 homeruns and 37 runs batted in. The Yankees pitching has been anchored by the six wins from C.C. Sabathia and an ERA under 3.
7. Tampa Bay Rays (28-24) – The third team out of the American League East is the Tampa Bay Rays. After playing real well for a couple weeks, the rays have fallen back a little since then. The Rays finished a weekend series with Cleveland, blanking them 7-0. The Rays are led in offense by Matt Joyce, with his .365 batting average, along with 8 homeruns. Tampa Bay is batting .245 as a team, which is just 20th in the league. Tampa Bay’s pitching ranks 10th in baseball, with a 3.53 earned run average, led by James Shields and his 2.15.
8. Milwaukee Brewers (29-24) – The Milwaukee Brewers have been red-hot and moved to second place in the National League Central. Milwaukee won out of nine on their recent home stand. overall, Milwaukee has won eight of their last ten games. The Brewers are 2.5 games behind the Cardinals, and now head into a big series with the Cincinnati Reds during the week. Ryan Braun has been red-hot for the Brewers, batting .320 with 12 homeruns. Milwaukee’s pitching has continued to be sensational, led by Yovani Gollardo, Shaun Marcum and Zack Greinke.
9. Atlanta Braves (29-24) – The Atlanta Braves have moved to five games above.500 on the season, and making a push towards second place in the National League East. Atlanta is just four games behind Philadelphia in divisional play. The Braves are led by Brian McCann and his .295 batting average, along with Martin Prado’s 30 runs batted in and 29 runs scored. Atlanta’s pitching has been led by Jair Jurrjens, who came into Sunday Night’s game with six wins and a 1.56 earned run average.
10. Arizona Diamondbacks (29-24) – The hottest team in Major League Baseball is the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks have taken over the top spot in the National League West with their six game winning streak. The Diamondbacks have also won nine of their last ten overall. Arizona is the sixth highest scoring team in the league, with 239 runs scored. The Diamondbacks offense has seen Justin Upton hit 9 homeruns and Chris Young drive home 29 runs.
11. San Francisco Giants (28-24) – The Giants lost their All-Star catcher Buster Posey to a collision at home plate. that hurts, especially with Pablo Sandoval also being out. The Giants are one of the worst offensive teams in the league; scoring just 177 runs on the season. San Francisco’s leading offensive player now is Freddie Sanchez, with his .302 batting average. The pitching for San Francisco is what has kept them above water, fourth in earned run average and quality starts. The Giants top pitcher – Tim Lincecum has five wins, with a 3.22 earned run average.
12. Texas Rangers (28-25) – The defending American League champions are looking to find a way to get back to a consistent winning track. The Rangers are one game ahead in the American League West, despite several key injuries. The offense for Texas has seen both Nelson Cruz and Josh Hamilton miss time with injuries. The Rangers are ninth in baseball with 234 runs scored, and also ninth with a.257 batting average. Texas has seen Adrian Beltre provide the power source for the offense, with 11 homeruns and 41 runs batted in.
13. Toronto Blue Jays (27-26) – The Toronto Blue Jays are one game over.500 on the season and just 3.5 games out of first place. The Blue Jays offense has been spurred by homerun leader Jose Bautista. The third base men has cracked 20 homeruns and drove home 36 runs, all while batting.350. Bautista is a candidate for Triple Crown in the American League this season. The Blue Jays are looking to get better starting pitcher, as they have just 24 quality starts, which ranks 26th in all of baseball.
14. Cincinnati Reds (27-26) – The Cincinnati Reds have hit a major bump in the road, coming into Sunday night’s game, they had won just two of nine games on their road trip. The Reds are just one game above.500 on the season and 4.5 games behind the first place St. Louis Cardinals. Cincinnati has been good offensively, as they lead the league in runs, and are near the top in batting average. Jay Bruce has provided the power supply for the Reds, leading the NL in homeruns. Cincinnati will start a big three game series with the Milwaukee Brewers on Monday.
15. Los Angeles Angels (28-27) – at one game below.500, the Los Angeles Angels are also one game behind the first place Texas Rangers. The Angels, after being shut-out on Saturday came back with a win over Minnesota on Sunday. The Angels offense has been anchored by Howie Kendrick and his.322 batting average, and 30 runs scored. Los Angeles has seen great starting pitching from Jered Weaver, with six wins and a 2.10 earned run average.
16. Detroit Tigers (25-26) – The Detroit Tigers are lurking right around the.500 mark on the season, trying to keep pace with the red-hot Cleveland Indians. The Tigers have seen their stars in Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander lead the way. Cabrera is batting.311 with 9 homeruns and 35 runs batted in. On the other side, Verlander has a 3.42 earned run average and 73 strikeouts. The Tigers have 30 quality starts from their pitching staff.
17. Seattle Mariners (26-26) – After winning eight of their last ten games, the Seattle Mariners have climbed back to.500. The Mariners have also made a push in the American League West; the most competitive division in baseball. Seattle still has all sorts of problems offensive, as they are batting.233 as a team, and have scored just 185 runs on the season. Seattle’s top offensive player has been Brendan Ryan, as he has a.277 batting average. The Seattle starting pitching staff has 31 quality starts, led by Felix Hernandez and Michael Pineda.
18. Oakland Athletics (27-27) – Oakland is also another team that has made a move in the American League West. The Athletics are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, but have allowed the least amount of runs as well. Oakland has a 2.82 earned run average, and also 37 quality starts as a staff. The top starting pitcher for the Athletics has been Trevor Cahill, with six wins and a 2.02 earned run average. Oakland’s top offensive player has been Coco Crisp, with a.272 batting average.
19. Colorado Rockies (25-27) – The Colorado Rockies are in a major slump. The Rockies have fallen to two games below.500 and 3.5 games out of first place. The Rockies have lost eight of their last ten games. On Saturday, Colorado scored 15 runs, but then were slowed down by St. Louis on Sunday. The Rockies have seen Todd Helton bat.303 to lead the team. The team is batting.244, which is 23rd in the league. Colorado took a big blow when they saw one of their starting pitchers; Jorge DeLaRosa go out for the season with an injury. Colorado would also like to get Ubaldo Jimenez back on track, as he has not won a game all season long.
20. Baltimore Orioles (24-27) – Baltimore is in last place in the American League East, but are just 5.5 games out of first place. The Orioles feel they are one hot streak away from being contenders in the division. Baltimore has seen their designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero bat.300 to lead the way. The offense also has seen Adam Jones crack 6 homeruns, drive home 29 runs and score 26 runs. The Orioles as a team are batting.251. The pitching for Baltimore has an earned run average of 4.43, which is 20th in all of baseball.
21. Pittsburgh Pirates (24-27) – The Pittsburgh Pirates, at 24-28, are in fourth place in the National League Central. The Pirates are 6.5 games behind St. Louis in the division. The Pirates have scored 191 runs, while allowing 198. The top offensive player for Pittsburgh has been Neil Walker, with a.266 batting average. as a team, Pittsburgh is batting.236, which is 26th in baseball. The Pirates Kevin Correia leads the team, and the league with 7 wins.
22. new York Mets (22-28) – The new York Mets cannot seem to find any consistency in the win column. The Mets did avoid a three game sweep at the hands of the Phillies on Sunday, but are still 8.5 games behind Philadelphia. The Mets pitching has been really bad, with just 22 starts, second worst in all of baseball. The offense for the Mets has been led by Jose Reyes, who is being discussed in trade talks. Reyes is batting.335, while Carlos Beltran has provided the power with 8 homeruns and 28 runs batted in.
23. Chicago Cubs (23-28) – The Chicago Cubs are having a tough time finding starting pitchers that can stay in the rotation. The addition of Rodrigo Lopez last week showed the Cubs where they stand in terms of their rotation. The Cubs are in fifth place in the National League Central; 7.5 games behind the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cubs are second in the league in batting with a.275, led by Starlin Castro and his.318 batting average. Alfonso Soriano has hit 12 homeruns and 29 runs batted in, both team leading. Chicago is last in Major League Baseball in quality starts, with just 16.
24. Kansas City Royals (23-29) – After a hot start, the Kansas City Royals cannot seem to find ways to get back into the win column. Kansas City has lost seven of their last ten games, including two straight to Texas. The Royals are in third place in the American League Central; nine games behind Cleveland. The Royals are sixth in baseball with a.259 batting average. Wilson Betemit leads the way with a.311 batting average.
25. Los Angeles Dodgers (24-30) – The Los Angeles Dodgers have been a major disappointment in a National League West, which has been sub-par as of best. The Dodgers are 24-30 overall, which places them in fourth place in the National League West. Los Angeles has been outscored 226 – 187 on the season. The two keys for the Dodgers offense have been Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp. Ethier is batting.326, while Kemp has hit 12 homeruns and 35 runs batted in. The Dodgers, who usually have sensational pitching, have seen a team earned run average of 4.07, which is 22nd in baseball.
26. San Diego Padres (22-31) – one of the worst offensive teams in the league – the San Diego Padres. The Padres have scored just 179 runs on the season. After losing Adrian Gonzalez during the off-season, Chase Headley and Cameron Maybin have joined Ryan Ludwick as the keys on the offensive side. The Padres are last, or second to last in all major offensive categories. The Padres are in last place in the National Leagues West; 7.5 games behind the first place Arizona Diamondbacks.
27. Washington Nationals (22-30) – The Washington Nationals are in the middle of a free-falling time of the season. Washington has lost eight of their last ten games to fall into the basement, alone in the National League East. Currently, Washington is 10.5 games behind Philadelphia. The Nationals are batting.227, which is only better than San Diego in all of baseball. Washington’s big free agent signing Jayson Werth leads the team, but is batting just.255, and has hit just 8 homeruns. The Nationals rank 12th in baseball with 30 quality starts, led by Jason Marquis and Livan Hernandez.
28. Chicago White Sox (24-31) – The Chicago White Sox have been the most disappointing team out of the American League. The White Sox are thankful for the Twins, or they would have the worst record in the league. The heat is on manager Ozzie Guillen, who may be fired before the season is over. After the White Sox were swept by Toronto on Sunday, Guillen went off on one of his profanity laced tirades. The White Sox are struggling both at the plate and on the mound. Chicago is batting.248 as a team, but hold a 3.92 earned run average.
29. Houston Astros (19-34) – The Houston Astros, at the bottom of the National League Central have the worst run differential in the National League. Houston was unable to slow down Arizona over the weekend, in a sweep. The Astros have been able to get on base, with their.258 batting average, but are struggling to score – 207 runs. The Astros pitching staff has been horrible, with a 4.63 earned run average. The Astros are allowing teams to bat nearly.280 against their pitchers.
30. Minnesota Twins (17-34) – The worst team in Major League Baseball – the Minnesota Twins. The Twins are 17-34 on the season, at the bottom of the American League Central. Minnesota has allowed 264 runs, and scored just 175 on the season. Minnesota is still without their slugging catcher Joe Mauer. Jason Kubel has been the top offensive player for Minnesota, leading the team with a.305 batting average, along with 5 homeruns and 29 runs batted in. The Twins have the worst team ERA in baseball, at 4.76.